With Industry Engagement now high on the agenda for our research organisations, the business development (BD) skill set has never been as highly sought after. The creation of long-term value for our university comes down to our ability to form partnerships and strategic relationships with like-minded industry partners, and develop these relationships over the long term to create positive synergy. Being able to develop and foster relationships that return value to both sides comes down to adequate preparation, knowing what our objective is, knowing what the other side’s objective is, and investing time and the right resource to make the relationship meaningful.
KCA has crafted a one-day Business Development course for those undertaking industry engagement activities within their research organisation which covers off proactive strategies to ensure the greatest return from engagement activities and efforts. A flavour of what will be covered off includes:
- Understanding your value proposition
- Identifying multiple engagement opportunities with clients – its more than fee for service discussions
- Understanding and leveraging what your organisation does best
- Smarter prospecting and avoiding cold calls – developing existing and broader organisation clients, using networks, leveraging warm referrals and maximising conference preparation
- Pre-client meeting preparation – articulating a valid business reason and crafting compelling value propositions for different buying influences
- Market segmentation, differentiation, positioning and market validation workshops
- Opportunity pipeline management
We are currently hosting events and courses upon request. If you or your organisation are interested in attending this event, please contact the KCA National Office at email@example.com.